With the arrival of September comes the perfect opportunity to hit the reset button on your fitness journey and get back to the gym. In this blog post, we’ll explore why September is an ideal time to recommit to your fitness goals, offer tips on how to make the transition smoother, and highlight the numerous benefits of returning to regular exercise.
1. A Fresh Start
We don’t have to wait until January to start new habits, September too can be associated with new beginnings with the start of the academic year for students, and the resetting of routines for parents after busy school holidays. Similarly, you can use this transitional period to renew your commitment to fitness. The changing season is a natural opportunity to set new goals, reevaluate your routines, and approach your fitness journey with renewed vigour.
2. Cooler Weather
As the scorching heat of summer gives way to cooler temperatures, working out becomes much more comfortable. You no longer have to contend with the sweltering sun, making outdoor activities and gym sessions much more enjoyable. With the pleasant weather, you’re more likely to stay consistent with your exercise routine, setting a strong foundation for long-term success.
3. Fewer Distractions
Summer often brings with it a host of distractions, from holidays to outdoor events and family gatherings. September can provide a break from these interruptions, allowing you to focus on your fitness goals without feeling pulled in a hundred different directions. You can establish a consistent routine and prioritise your workouts, ensuring steady progress.
4. Health Benefits
Regular exercise offers a myriad of health benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, increased muscle tone, and reduced stress levels. By returning to the gym in September, you can set the stage for a healthier autumn and winter season. With cold and flu season approaching, strengthening your immune system through exercise can help you stay well.
5. Mental Wellbeing
Physical activity isn’t just about improving your body; it’s also a powerful tool for enhancing mental well-being. Exercise releases endorphins, which are natural mood boosters. Incorporating regular workouts into your routine can give you an extra tool to help manage your stress levels too.
Tips for Getting Back to the Gym
Now that you’re motivated to jumpstart your fitness journey in September, here are some tips to make the process smoother:
- Set Clear Goals: Define what you want to achieve in the gym. Whether it’s weight loss, muscle gain, increased endurance, or overall health, having specific goals will keep you motivated. Some people find that having an event to prepare for can really kick-start their motivation and determination. Have a look at our sports and challenge events calendar and be inspired towards your next goal whether that be a trek, triathlon or 10k that you have in mind.
- Create a Schedule: Plan your workouts in advance and commit to a regular exercise schedule. Treat your gym time like an important appointment.
- Start Slow: If you’re returning to the gym after an extended break, ease into your workouts to prevent injury. Begin with lower weights and shorter sessions, gradually increasing intensity.
- Find a Workout Buddy: Having a workout partner can provide motivation and accountability. Consider inviting a friend to join you on your fitness journey.
- Diversify Your Routine: To keep things interesting, mix up your workouts with a variety of exercises and classes. This prevents boredom and challenges your body in new ways.
- Have the right equipment: Get rid of that leaky water bottle, and those leggings that never seemed to fit just right anyway. If you have trouble parting with these items that are not bringing you joy, you can always donate them to us for resale, or as part of our recycling scheme. Making the right choices with your workout gear and equipment can make a massive difference to your motivation and the workouts you ultimately achieve too. To help you get your gym kit in order, we have carefully curated a range of gym bundles:
September is the perfect time to rekindle your commitment to fitness and embrace a healthier lifestyle. With the changing season, cooler weather, and fewer distractions, you have an excellent opportunity to make exercise a consistent part of your routine. Remember that the journey to better health and fitness is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay patient, stay consistent, and celebrate every milestone along the way. Your body and mind will thank you for it, and you’ll be well on your way to achieving your fitness goals.