The Great Wall of China Trek is a fantastic 5 day hike along this awesome man-made structure. This challenge takes you over watch towers and mountains, through historic battlement stations that are well off the tourist trail.
Beginning in the hustle and bustle of Beijing, you’ll transfer to our trek start point at Huanyaguan – a fantastic fortress, built into the Great Wall, that once a stronghold of the Chinese warriors that marshalled this magnificent structure.
You’ll get an insight of what it was like building, living and working on this incredible feat of engineering. You’ll be allowed a very privileged glimpse, shared by very few Westerners, into the traditional lives of the local people who still inhabit the remote villages of the Chinese countryside.
One of the highlights of this challenge is the opportunity to place your own brick in a part of the wall that is currently being restored. This is exclusive to this challenge and a real honour and privilege.
This was an absolute privilege to place our very own brick own the Great Wall. An imprint that will be there forever. My message to my nan and everyone affected by breast cancer is now cemented in the wall for decades to come.
This challenge is suitable for all abilities and all ages – with a duration of nine days door-to-door, flights leave on Saturday and come back Sunday so it has the added appeal for those with work commitments as it means minimal time off work.
Great Wall of China facts
- It is believed that the first parts of the wall were built during the ‘Spring and Autumn period’ of Chinese history, approximately 771 to 476 BC.
- The final sections were completed during the Ming Dynasty, 1368-1644 AD.
- The highest point of the wall is 14 meters but typically it is only 6-7 metres high.
- Badaling is the most popular section of the wall for tourists due to its proximity to Beijing (approximately 60 km).
- Despite popular belief, you cannot see the Wall from outer space with the human eye.
- Raise minimum sponsorship; Registration Fee £299 + £2790 minimum sponsorship
- Self Funded; Registration Fee £299 + Self Funding £1395 + raise as much sponsorship as possible
- Please note: an additional £250 airport tax applies to each of the above cost options
11-19 September 2021
15-24 October 2021
16-23 October 2021
7-15 May 2022
10-18 September 2022
15-23 October 2022
Sign UpSign Up, Sept '21 Sign Up, 15 Oct '21 Sign Up, 16 Oct '21 Sign Up, May '22 Sign Up, Sept '22 Sign Up, Oct '22
The trek takes place several times every year and is one of the many walks and treks that we offer. For more information, please visit the Global Adventure Challenges website or contact our events team.